Water is the driving force of all nature.
~ Leonardo da Vinci
There is no doubt in my mind that this quote is true. Standing on rock cliffs by the sea, I can feel its unmistakable power and am filled with awe.
Yachats on the Oregon Coast has unbeliveable access to the ocean’s edge and I am soaking up the exquistie beauty served up to me each day as I walk along the surf, sometimes with my husband and our pup, and sometimes by myself with my camera. The photography opportunites are endless for oceanscape lovers such as myself.
This is a small collection of images that I have made in Yachats thus far. I hope you enjoy.
- Set your camera on a tripod lowered to the level of the rock that your subject is on. Do a trial run while the water is out to sea in order to make the correct settings.
- Have your settings ready. Mine were ISO 100, f16, 1/13 shutter speed.
- I used my f/2.8L Canon Macro lens
- Wait for a wave to wash over or by the rock and when it begins to recede back to the ocean in front of the rock, set your tripod down in the designated position and snap the shutter like crazy.
- Make sure to be ready to snatch up your tripod and camera in the event the wave splashes up too high.
We are enjoying a three month stay here in Yachats. As many of you know, our home in Beaverton was damaged by a burst water pipe and is being renovated. Thankfully, insurance is paying for alternative living arrangements. My husband, Steve and I, chose to stay in this gem of a town, not only because it is a photographer’s paradise but also since it is midway between our motel in Bandon and the house in Beaverton. It makes our necesary trips back and forth much easier.
On another note, it’s time for me to put out announcements for my 2023 photography workshops. Since there has been a lot of interest, I am planning on two workshops for next season. One is scheduled for September 28th~October 3rd and the second one will be October 16th~22nd. I’m calling on folks to put down their deposits ASAP if they would like to guarantee their spots.
You may contact me via email or Messenger if you are interested. firstname.lastname@example.org
I am so excited and grateful for the interest that has been generated.
Completely inspired by my stay in this town, I have added it to the workshops. There will be four nights in Bandon and three in Yachats! Stay tuned!
I’m not a religious person per se, but spirituality is important to me and I sure believe in the spirit of this quote by Muir.
Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.
Take care everyone and as usual, I’d love to hear a comment from you.
Where the edge of the land greets the sea is where I love to be…